California trade organizations are receiving more than $33.7 million to support the international promotion of food and agriculture products as part of a U.S. Department of Agriculture program.
Funding allocated under the Market Access Program and the Foreign Market Development Cooperator Program will help California trade organizations and companies match industry funds with federal government funds to expand international markets for California products.
“International trade is vital to California agriculture,” said Secretary A.G. Kawamura. “This funding will assist in opening foreign markets, reducing trade barriers, and increasing consumer purchases of California grown products around the world.”
California is the largest agricultural producer and exporter in the nation with more than $36.6 billion in agricultural production and $10.9 billion in exports.
On average, California farmers export an estimated 28 percent of the products they produce. Leading export markets for California include: Canada, $2.2 billion; the European Union, $2.1 billion; Japan, $957 million; and China/Hong Kong, $638 million.
Top export products in 2007 included: almonds, $ 1.8 billion; dairy and products, $963 million; wine, $815 million; table grapes, $553 million; and cotton, $505 million.
California trade organizations that received USDA program allocations include:
• Blue Diamond Growers/Almond Board of California - $2,869,947
• California Agricultural Export Council - $1,120,951
• California Asparagus Commission - $138,313
• California Cherry Advisory Board - $701,732
• California Cling Peach Advisory Board - $163,267
• California Fresh Tomato Growers/Florida Tomato Committee - $121,743
• California Kiwifruit Commission - $289,770
• California Pear Advisory Board - $479,327
• California Pistachio Export Council/Cal-Pure Pistachios, Inc. - $950,000
• California Dried Plum Board - $3,499,819
• California Strawberry Commission - $618,693
• California Table Grape Commission - $3,648,818
• California Tree Fruit Agreement - $2,375,233
• California Walnut Commission - $4,604,059
• Raisin Administrative Committee - $2,905,258
• Sunkist Growers, Inc. - $2,137,619
• Wine Institute - $7,171,958