- A house that thumbs its nose at the drought: Some rather interesting technology, developed in Australia, that recycles household “grey” water (not toilet water, but from sinks and showers). A California builder is already incorporating it into new homes.
- Gov. Brown: Drought should be catalyst for a more sustainable California: Governor suggests recent mandate to curb water use by 25 percent should be a “lifestyle rather than a temporary belt-tightening.”
- California drought defies easy solutions at Senate hearing: California farmer Cannon Michael tells Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee that his loss of farm water costs him, his employees and his community.
- Dams, reservoirs may not be best answer: An elected assembly member in California called surface storage “a dinosaur” and thus opposed a plan to fast-track dam and reservoir construction in California.
- Rein in California’s farmers to solve the drought? Not so fast: After seeing cherries harvested in San Joaquin Valley one journalist has a positive perspective on Ag water use.
- Think we can end California’s drought by eating differently? Think again: Public Policy Institute poll suggests most of California believes water and the drought is most important issue facing California today.
- Drought forging new water partnerships: Bakersfield treatment plant seeks water deal to continue operating.
- $110 million in drought aid going to California, other Western states, White House says: Some of the federal money will include assistance for those who lost jobs because of the drought to find temporary jobs.
- Texas planners look to aquifers to prepare for next drought: Recent torrential rains in Texas have planners looking at how to push similar surplus water underground as a “savings account” for the next drought.
- Drought emergencies declared in 19 Oregon counties: Drought is not just California’s problem; the Golden State’s northern neighbor is also suffering now as more than half of the state’s counties are officially in a state of drought.
10 must-read drought stories for June 17
What are others saying about drought in the West?