A total of $18,000 in prizes was awarded to winners of the 2012 World Ag Expo Forage Challenge, presented by Mycogen Seeds. Finalists were chosen from 77 entries from nine Western states.
The competition challenged farmers to enter the best of what they grow to see who produced the highest-quality forage in the West. Samples of the finalists' entries will be on display in World Ag Expo's New Products and Forage Challenge Center on T Street and Expo Lane during the Expo.
"The significance of high quality forages on Western dairy operations is reflected in this year's World Ag Expo Forage Challenge participants. We congratulate all the winners and finalists for their dedication to high-quality forage production," said Greg Cannon, Mycogen Seeds forage marketing specialist.
Lallemand Animal Nutrition North America sponsored $18,000 in contest awards and prizes. First place winners in all three categories received $3,000, while second place winners were awarded $2,000 and $1,000 for third place winners.
Farmers and ranchers from 11 Western states were invited to enter the competition. Entries were judged in three categories: alfalfa hay, standard corn silage and brown mid-rib (BMR) corn silage. Cash prizes were awarded based on forage lab analyses, along with a visual evaluation of the entries by experts in dairy nutrition and forage production.
"High quality forage is vital to our industry and we're proud to provide an outlet for forage growers to showcase their products," said Patty Colson, 2012 World Ag Expo chairman. "Our hope is that the Forage Challenge will provide a competitive venue for growers while educating anyone interested in high quality forages."
2012 World Ag Expo Forage Challenge Winners:
- 1st Place - Phil Troost, Springs Dairy, Lake Arthur, N.M.
- 2nd Place - Greg Nunes, Nunes Farms, Modesto, Calif.
- 3rd Place - David Hinman, Hardrock Farms, Wheatland, Wyo.
Corn Silage BMR
- 1st Place - Leo Van Warmerdam, Van Warmerdam Dairy, Galt, Calif.
- 2nd Place - Mike Barcellos, Monster Dairy, Newman, Calif.
- 3rd Place - Rich Callahan, Callahan Farms, Royal City, Wash.
Corn Silage Non-BMR
- 1st Place - Kelly Callahan, Royal Turf Farms, Royal City Wash.
- 2nd Place - Rob Van Grouw, Elbow Creek Dairy, Visalia, Calif.
- 3rd Place - Bert Weststeyn, Weststeyn Dairy Farms, Willows, Calif.