• Almond Irrigation, Nutrition for High Yields and Stewardship (Co-sponsored by the Almond Board of California and Paramount Farming Company)
ABC-funded fertility trial research will be the subject matter of the day on June 16, from 8:20 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Almond Fertility Management, environmental stewardship and future regulations - Patrick Brown, Pomology UC Davis
- Nutrient budgets, fertilizer materials and rate responses – Patrick Brown, Saiful Muhammad, UCD
- Early season sampling and new critical values – Brown, Sebastian Saa Silva, UCD
- Nitrogen management & fate: Greenhouse gases, root distribution and irrigation impacts – Dave Smart, Daniel Schellenberg, Andres Olivos, UCD
- Almond water use (ET) and plant stress guidelines – Blake Sanden (Kern UCCE), Ken Shackel, UCD
- Spur development, light and canopy potential – Bruce Lampinen, UCCE Davis
- Remote sensing and spectral imagery as future tools – Mike Whiting, Susan Ustin, UCD
- Learn to use the pressure chamber, hands on exercise – Peggy Schrader, Kern UCCE
The field day focuses on optimizing yields and production efficiency while at the same time striving the meet the highest environmental standards and land stewardship for a sustainable future. Come and see what top researchers have found out to date and enjoy a BBQ lunch.
Field Day Schedule
1. Sign–in 8:00 a.m. to 8:20
2. Introduction and acknowledement of contributors 8:20 to 8:40
3. Breakout sessions 8:40 to 11:30
4. Cooperator and industry supporter displays 8:40 to 12:30
Paramount Farming is the grower cooperator on this comprehensive project, with the Almond Board of California along with many other agencies providing research funding. We have generous support from the following companies, who will have staff and information available: Fertilizer Companies: Yara, Great Salt Lake Minerals, Tessenderlo-Kerley, Compass, Haifa, Mosaic, SQM, Potassium Nitrate Association.
Equipment/Service providers: PureSense, Grundfos Pumps, Bowsmith, Toro Irrigation, Irrometer, Britz, Soil Technologies Inc.
5. BBQ lunch 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
BBQ lunch courtesy of the Paramount Farming BBQ Bunch, led by Brigadier Burger Flipper Rob Baker. For lunch, please RSVP Debye Hunter, Almond Board of California: 209-343-3230 or e-mail [email protected] .
6. New continuous fertigation trial, fanjets and double-line drip 12:30-1:15
This is a special session for those hardy souls wanting to stay after lunch to preview a new “spoon-feed” trial comparing continuous fertigation with the more conventional four times/year injection in both microsprinkler and double-line drip irrigation. This trial will also provide the first field data on tissue critical levels and water use in Monterey. We will discuss fertigation/irrigation systems and filter station management options.
For additional information, Blake Sanden, Irrigation and Agronomy Advisor, UC Cooperative Extension, [email protected] , (661) 868-6218.